Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fruit Tart



I love fruit tart especially when there is strawberry in it. Reminds me of the days in Auh office. Our department would often find reasons or occasions to celebrate and beautiful strawberry tartlets were on the menu by default :-). So, anyway I decided to make a tart instead. I got a tart pan from my usual place & got some kiwis n mandarin. Unfortunately strawberries were not to be found (quite to my disappointment) but decided I'd go ahead & make the tart anyway with the l'le fruits I had.
I used the kiwis, mandarins & some green seedless grapes.
B hardly had any. My dad & I finished most of it :D. Must make the tart again some day when I get strawberries!

Now for the recipe:


To prepare the crust
8 Tbsps cold butter
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp heavy cream

1)Blend together the butter & sugar till well combined.
2)Add flour & salt & blend a few more times
3) Add yolk & cream & blend till incorporated. Dough will be slightly crumbly & should hold together when pinched.
4)Turn dough in a tart pan & Press into the pan, working up the sides till it is pressed evenly around the rim. Trim excess dough. Chill tart for 20mins
5)Preheat oven to 160C/325F
6)Bake the crust for 10-12mins or till golden colour.


To make the Pastry Cream
2 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cups heavy cream or 1/2 heavy cream & 1/2 milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Tbsp Butter

In a small bowl whisk together eggs & cornstarch until cornstarch is completely absorbed. Whisk 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
In a medium saucepan combine remaining heavy cream,sugar & salt & bring to boil.
Whisk 1/4 cup of hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly till mixture becomes thick.
Remove from heat & whisk in the vanilla & butter.
Transfer to a bowl & immediately press a piece of grease plastic wrap on top of the cream, to prevent skin formation on top of the cream. Allow to cool in the fridge.
When cream & crust are cooled, spoon in cream into the crust & spread evenly with a spatula/spoon. Arrange the fruit slices.

Glaze on fruits:
When fruit pieces arrangement is completed, brush fruit pieces alone with melted gelatine.
Melt unflavoured gelatin in hot water till all crystals dissolves. Brush with a pastry brush


Chill & serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment