Thursday, October 29, 2015

Butterfly and Flower pouch (with applique and free hand embroidery)

My girl gets inspiration to ask me to sew something while she is playing. And so, a few days back she asked me to make her a new pencil pouch with butterfly and flower on it. And I got right to work... I looked at my fabric scraps and found a few pieces I could used to whip up a butterfly and a flower. I also got some fabric left over from the bags i'd made for the kiddos and decided to use that as the main fabric. I also found scraps of lining I had used from the bag and I used it for the inner lining for the pouch.

First I cut out a rough shape of butterfly and one I was satisfied with its size I cut another piece, using the first one as my guide. Then I appliqued it on the main pouch fabric. I put the butterflies on two ends and a flower in the middle. Cut out 2 circles for the base of the flower then cut 4 more sets of circles in concentric circles. For each of the 4 sizes I cut out 4 pieces each. So in total I cut out 18 circles - 2 circles of same size for base, 4 circles that were a little smaller than the base circle, another 4 circles a little smaller than the previous circle, another 4 circles a little smaller than the previous circle and last 4 circles a little smaller than the previous circle and these 4 smallest circles forms the innermost petals of the flower. The base circles are kept as is. Fold all the rest of the circles into 1/4 i.e it will be 90 degree pie pieces. the 1/4th pieces of the largest circle will form the 4 base pieces and the rest of the pie pieces will be stacked on top in the decreasing size order. Sew through all the layers. I covered the centre of the flower with a big pearl piece.

The Pouch

It is a slim pouch and opens all the way. The pouch can be opened flat out

The back view
 The lining


No comments:

Post a Comment